Legal Question in Family Law in Florida

My father forced me to take out a huge student loan. He was my co-signer. He assured me that he would take full responsibility for the loan as he noticed my apprehension. The check came and I never laid eyes on it or him in the home again. He abandoned the family and left me with quite a burden. I have witnesses to him agreeing to pay back the loan, a note on my account with Wells Fargo and paperwork that shows he was also receiving Parent Plus Loans the whole time I was a student at FIU. I will be graduating soon and need to be free of this heavy load. What can I do so that the person that took the check is responsible for it?

Asked on 8/26/13, 12:54 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys

Robert McCall Law Office of Robert McCall
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Call police and report fraud, grand theft.

Read more
Answered on 8/26/13, 2:20 pm
John Smitten Carey and Leisure
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

The loan is in your name so you are on the hook. Agree with counsel report the item to the police as fraud and criminal theft.

Read more
Answered on 8/27/13, 1:52 am
David Slater David P. Slater, Esq.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

You can sue him for reimbursement if he has any assets.

Read more
Answered on 9/04/13, 11:25 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Florida

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88963 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now