Legal Question in Family Law in Florida

My mother and her husband want to kick me out of their house, however I am 17 and will not be 18 for another 74 days...Are they legally allowed to do this? Also, my mother gets child support for me from my father (she has for the last 16-17 years so almost my entire life) and she will continue to get this until I am 21 (we live in Florida now, but the case was dealt with in New York which is where we are originally from) will she be able to keep this if they kick me out/when I move out? Also what is child support for exactly? She uses it for her bills (food, gas, water bill, etc) and never seems to use it for me, my grandparents have taken care of me and buy me clothes, etc., however I do not live with them, I live with my mother and her husband and two sisters from the marriage my mother is in now.

Any help with this situation would be appreciated.

Thank You.

Asked on 9/03/13, 10:59 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

John Smitten Carey and Leisure
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

They cannot kick you out until age 18 at which time you are emancipated.

Read more
Answered on 9/03/13, 11:20 am
Robert McCall Law Office of Robert McCall
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Bio Father needs to be contacted. You can be forced out at age 18 but NY court says Bio Dad continues to pay. If you are not in the home you are considered emancipated, child support stops upon emancipation.

Read more
Answered on 9/03/13, 12:12 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Florida

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now