Legal Question in Family Law in Florida

Can I request a child support modification? I have 3 children from a previous marriage. The dad has custody & we have shared responsibility. He had them one extra day so I was ordered to pay child support. I have been paying the same amount for 3 kids for over 10 years. Our oldest son is over 18, working & lives with me full time now. I am currently pregnant & being put on bed rest which qualifies me for short term disability at work. I will be out of work for about 6 months. I will only receive about 60% of my pay during that time. Based on there being one child that now lives with me & the reduction of my pay, would the courts consider a child support modification?

Asked on 4/03/13, 6:47 am

4 Answers from Attorneys

Carolyn Jones Law Office of Carolyn R. Jones
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

You can file for a modification based on a substantial change in circumstances. You are making less income and one of your children I assume one of your children has graduated from high school. Best wishes

Read more
4/03/13, 7:02 am
Natalie Hall The Law Office of Natalie D. Hall, P.A.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

You have described what sounds like a substantial change of circumstances. Income is a large part of support. Note that the court will examine your income as well as your ex's. Have an attorney review the current child support worksheet and assist with a Modification.

Natalie Hall, Esq.

(407) 412-7035

Read more
4/03/13, 8:08 am
Alan Smith Tallahassee Legal Counsel
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

As the other attorneys have said, it seems like you have grounds for a substantial change in circumstances.

Also, it is not clear to me from your question whether you are paying for the child who is living with you and is over 18. If you are, and if the child has graduated from high school or is not enrolled in an educational program, than you PROBABLY do not need to continue payments. If you owe past due support, or if a court order in your case says otherwise, than you should probably continue paying. Nothing can replace an in-person consultation with an attorney in these types of cases, so speak with someone who does family law in your area.

Read more
4/03/13, 9:31 am
John Smitten Carey and Leisure
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

You have to file a petition with the court to adjust the support. Contact my office for free consultation 727-446-7659

Read more
4/03/13, 4:23 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Florida

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88333 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony RoachLaw Office of Anthony A. RoachChatsworth, CA
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Michael E. HendricksonAttorney & Counsellor at LawAlexandria,
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now