Legal Question in Family Law in Florida

My ex wife is planning to file an abduction suit against me because we verbally agreed to my son living with me in the US and she sent him. She lost her green card status and is telling me to sent my son back and the I will never see him again. We got divorced in Trinidad and she got custody because she took him when he was a baby and went to Trinidad. What can I do to keep my son here legally and what is my time frame. Please any information you can assist me with please help. Please step to take will be well appreciated and is this a matter to take to legal aid.

John Smitten Carey and Leisure

YOU CANNOT JUST WITHHOLD THE CHILD YOU HAVE TO FILE SOME TYPE OF EMERGENCY PETITION IN FLORIDA.

Carolyn Jones Law Office of Carolyn R. Jones

You need to consult with a lawyer right away. You are not allowed to just keep the child in Florida you need to find out your legal options.

Brent Rose The Orsini & Rose Law Firm

I think the other lawyers who answered your question have missed your point, but Ms. Jones is right about one thing, you need to speak with a lawyer right away. Your case falls under a special set of international laws called the Hague Convention. The Hague Convention spells out the procedure for child custody cases where the parents live in separate states (nations) and the parents are fighting over where the child should live. Hague Convention cases are complicated, and they require a family lawyer with experience in international family law. You can call me, if you like.

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Florida