Legal Question in Civil Litigation in Florida

I am a board member at a local animal shelter. We have a dog that bit a volunteer while he was kissing the dogs' nose. The dog had been returned to us because it bit the new owner. We don't know the trigger for this dog to unexpectantly bite. And so, the question is, can we adopt this dog out telling the new owner the dog may bite for an unknown reason. If adopted, can we be held liable if he does bite?

Tami Diebel The Plaintiffs Law Firm

No. If the new owner has damages from a dog bite, such as the biting off of a child's face, which could cause severe emotional and physical damage, and the new owner learns that the dog had bitten at least two other people, as a plaintiff's attorney, I would be filing suit in a heart beat against the local animal shelter who had knowledge and could have prevented yet another dog bite.

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in Florida

General Civil Litigation Legal Forms