Legal Question in Civil Litigation in Florida

I was in a car accident in 2008 but not cited. I just found out 2 weeks ago that a civil suit was filed against me in 2009. What are my options? I was never served with a summons or notice to appear. The case is listed as "open" in the system.

Asked on 4/07/11, 4:17 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

John DeLancett Law Offices of John DeLancett, PL.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Until you are served, there is nothing that you are legally required to do. There is a time period of 120 days to serve you. Extensions can be obtained if they can't find you to serve you. Have you been out of state, country or hiding from service? You may want to get a copy of the complete court file and meet with a lawyer to discuss the matter. You need to at least verify that the court file does not indicate that you were served.

Read more
Answered on 4/08/11, 12:06 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More General Civil Litigation questions and answers in Florida

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

General Civil Litigation Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now