Florida  |  Civil Litigation

Trial case date?/Lawyer suspended/Lost paperwork/Thanks!

I was in the process of a suit with the insurance company involved in a car accident I suffered injuries from 6 years back. I was frustrated with my lawyer, but he always handled things just in time to keep me unaware there were any problems. When I had finally come to terms emotionally that the case was dead (this lawyer did not return countless phone calls, emails etc.), I recieved mail from the opposing lawyer informing me that they had discovered after some research that my lawyer had been suspended from the bar. It also turns out there is a trial date set for July 11. There's no way I can sort things out by then & it's the day of my sister's baby shower. I am crazy busy studying for the graduate school entrance exam. I had also expressed to my now suspended lawyer that I did not want to go to trial. The deposition was dreadful enough as it was. I had plenty of information to support the claim & push for settelment, but I know now he did no due diligence to present the case. What can I do to delay this course so that I have time to figure all of this out. PS. I also can't find the papers I was sent about the trial etc. Yes, complicating this a lot. I put them somewhere ''safe'' place I can't remember now. What can I do?

Answered on: 7/02/08, 9:34 am by Michael Stewart

Re: Trial case date?/Lawyer suspended/Lost paperwork/Thanks!

You need to immediately hire another lawyer to sort things out for you.

Michael D. Stewart 501 Brickell Key Drive, Suite 102 Miami, FL 33131

Answered on: 6/30/08, 8:59 am by Alan Wagner

Get a lawyer right away. Just contact one in or near your city. They can get the case postponed. You can as well -- if you file a motion to do so, but it is best if a lawyer does it.

Wagner, Vaughan & McLaughlin, P.A. 601 Bayshore Boulevard; Suite 910 Tampa, FL 33606