Florida  |  Immigration Law

If I am an American marrying a Frenchman, how long would it take for him to become a US citizen and get permission to work in the US? Where should I start the process?

Answered on: 5/19/13, 6:05 am by Bill Klein

This may sound self serving but the best place to start is to consult with an Immigration Attorney, Over the years, unfortunately most of my business comes from people who do the opposite. They start the process on their own and run into sometimes serious problems and after a couple years of frustration contact me.

My advise is do it right the first time. Any time you deal with the government if you make a mistake the delay and run around you will get makes some people crazy. The process starts with a petition (with a spouse petition or a fiancée petition) the process will vary in cost and paper work with the details of your situation.

You need to plan well since the whole process will take a year and have significant impact on you travel plans while the paper work is being processed. Good Luck.

Law Office of Bill Travis Klein P.O. Box 67 Lakewood, CA 90714

Answered on: 5/19/13, 12:22 pm by Natalie Hall

It depends largely on whether he is here or in France and if here, whether he entered legally with inspection. Furthermore past issues may prevent him from becoming a permanent resident (eg. whether he had ever been convicted or charged with certain crimes)

Consult with a local immigration attorney.

The Law Office of Natalie D. Hall, P.A. 2816 East Robinson Street Orlando, FL 32803