Florida  |  Employment Law

work for FREE

I work for a Resort company in Florida , I am a housekeeper and I get paid by the unit ( condo ) my boss now wants me to sign a paper stating that if I miss one little thing when cleaning he will NOT pay me for cleaning that unit . Can he do this ? , also he laid me off back in Jan , then ask me to come back just so he would not have to pay my unemployment , I believe he is trying to get me to quit, me and one other person is all that has to sign this paper the other housekeepers do not. What can I do ?

Gay

Answered on: 3/26/09, 11:29 am by Hunter Chamberlin

Re: work for FREE

He is potentially violating federal and state labor law. If you work, he MUST pay you.

I would be interested in discussing this with you in more detail. Please feel free to contact me if you would like to discuss your options.

Chamberlin Butler & Crowe, P.A. 3001 N. Rocky Point Drive East, Suite 200 Tampa, FL 33607

Answered on: 3/26/09, 1:33 pm by Alan Wagner

Re: work for FREE

He can't make you work for free. If you don't sign it and he fires you, you will have unemployment benefits.

Wagner, Vaughan & McLaughlin, P.A. 601 Bayshore Boulevard; Suite 910 Tampa, FL 33606