Legal Question in Employment Law in Florida

help????

I work at this manufacturing plant in Florida that makes PVC pipe. I work in the shipping department with the fittings but every morning i have to go across the street to the other part of shipping that ships out the 10' and 20' pipes. My question is we all had to sign a piece of paper saying that we would not smoke on a forklift (by forklift they mean pallet jacks, electrical forklift and propane powered). So there is this guy that smokes continuously on a propane powered forklift that signed the paper also. If I were to tell the supervisor over the shipping department that I'm not going to go back until they make him stop, could he legally fire me or take it that I quit my job because I don't want to go over there and help??? I understand that safety risks are a part of the job but at the same time this is an unnecessary risk that I have to take and can be controlled. The company knows about it but they are being negligent. I took some Business Law for my AS degree in Business Management so I know a little but this is past my knowledge.

Yes they know that he does it and they have told him plenty of times to stop.

Alan Wagner Wagner, Vaughan & McLaughlin, P.A.

Re: help????

They can probably fire you. I am unaware that there is any actual risk in smoking while operating a propane powered vehicle. It would surprise me if there actually was, but I could be wrong. If it is dangerous, it may be an OSHA violation and you could report it to the appropriate people and attack this problem that way.

More Labor and Employment Law questions and answers in Florida

Labor and Employment Law Legal Forms