Florida  |  Landlord & Tenant Law

Is my apartment complex responsible for rust stains from the sprinkler system damaging the paint job on my car?

Recently noticed brown discoloration that covers the whole front hood of my car. I took it to a detailer to have it cleaned and found out that it can not be removed. He also informed me that it is possibly from rust in the sprinkler system that is spraying on the car over time and has created that stain. Upon going home I noticed a lot of other cars in the neighborhood with the same issue. There was also noticeable rust stains on the building itself where sprinkler heads are present. What should I do about this?

Answered on: 9/13/13, 10:03 am by Barry Stein

Put the apartment complex on notice of the claim. They have to be negligent to be responsible. They have to have had notice of the problem which they failed to correct causing property damage.

De Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & Zachary 25 SE 2nd Avenue Suite 425 Miami, FL 33131

Answered on: 9/13/13, 12:38 pm by Byron Petersen

Yes, unless your lease provides otherwise.

--Note that this is not a legal opinion. For that you must formally engage Florida counsel and confer.

Byron G. Petersen P.A. 21346 Suite 200 Boca Raton, FL 33433