Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in Florida

I found a subleasee for my apartment. We both sat down with rep from apartment and filled out various subleasing forms. I gave my keys and paid sublease fee and was told I was off lease and could go, while the subleasee was still there finishing paperwork. Three days later I was left a message by apartment that subleasee didn't have a cosigner so I am still on the hook for the apartment. Can I still be held accountable? They cashed my check for subleasing fees.

Barry Stein De Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & Zachary

Unless they signed some document releasing you then you are likely still on the hook. If the subleasing fees are not earned or due, they should refund them to you. Did you get copies of any of the paperwork you signed? Were there contingencies to the acceptance such as a co-signer? You should have an attorney review the paperwork.

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in Florida

Landlord & Tenants Legal Forms