Florida  |  Landlord & Tenant Law

My landlord died in the past week and I have been renting a house (in Florida) on a cash/no lease basis for 5 years. Word through the grapevine is that the family member who inherited it will be selling all properties ASAP (there is a clean will). Will I receive a legal notice from someone (such as a 30 day evacuate?) or can I be told to leave in a matter of days...thanks! worried with a housefull of stuff and no place to go in Florida :(

Answered on: 5/09/13, 2:50 pm by Barry Stein

You should receive legal notice for either non payment or termination. The non payment wont be a 30 day notice it will be a 3 day pay or get out. Why not reach out to the family member and find out in advance what is going to happen rather than waiting for it to happen. The person would need to be appointed personal representative of the Estate or that person would need to act for the decedent. This means there will be time in that process.

De Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & Zachary 25 SE 2nd Avenue Suite 425 Miami, FL 33131

Answered on: 5/09/13, 2:51 pm by David Slater

You are a month to month tenant. They must give advanced written notice. If you do not move out, they can start eviction.

David P. Slater, Esq. 5154 Windsor Parke Dr. Boca Raton, FL 33496