Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in Florida

I live on a live aboard marina in fort myers florida. They charge every company that comes aboard my boat to fix something $50.00 every time they step aboard ie: electrical, air conditioning,etc. Is this legal

Byron Petersen Byron G. Petersen P.A.

This is VERY likely illegal. To impose this fee the marina must show that they are in fact damaged to the tune of $50.00 each time a service provider shows up. My observation is, of course, dependent on what your lease agreement says.

The owner/operator would be within his or her rights to require a "damage deposit" of $50.00 for each service company visit but they would have to return the deposit after the provider left and a rep of the marina owner had a reasonable time to see if docks or other owner properties were damaged. Again your lease agreement may speak to this.

Be very sensitive in writing the owner. The retaliation could be substantial and you do not want to spend your life in court.

This is not an opinion. You need to engage with an attorney face to face or call Legal Services in your county for free legal service and in order to obtain a formal opinion.

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in Florida

Landlord & Tenants Legal Forms