Florida  |  Landlord & Tenant Law

I have been living in a single family home since 2009 that my father purchased outright. There is no lease agreement as there was no rent requested by or paid to him. My father passed away in 2012 his will has not been probated but passes his assets to my mother. She is now demanding money...do I have any rights? Does she? The home is in FL, I am a FL resident. My father lived and my mother lives in MA and is a MA resident.

Answered on: 10/24/13, 1:50 am by Barry Stein

She is likely entitled to some rental for your possession of the property. I suggest you try and work it out. Seek the help of an attorney

De Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & Zachary 25 SE 2nd Avenue Suite 425 Miami, FL 33131

Answered on: 10/24/13, 2:45 am by David Slater

Technically, until the will goes to probate and she obtains a deed, she is not the owner. Whether a judge will agree with me is a different matter, since she was the spouse and has certain equitable rights. Contact counsel.

David P. Slater, Esq. 5154 Windsor Parke Dr. Boca Raton, FL 33496