Florida  |  Landlord & Tenant Law

Pet Deposit and Security Deposits

I live in Florida and rented an apartment in an apt community which required a $500 non-refundable pet deposit fee and a $150 security deposit. I have now moved and received a letter stating the landlords intention to retain the security deposit in its entirety and added a charge of $96 for rug replacement. When I moved in the rug was so badly spotted I demanded a replacement which they denied. I put all the stains and there placement on the move-in conditions checklist. The pet deposit is supposed to cover damages to the rug which my dog did not do as he was housebroken to which I have a document from the SPCA that states so. I sent a certified letter to them stating that they use the pet deposit and return my security deposit. If I take them to small claims {on principal} is there a possibility of winning?

Answered on: 3/11/09, 12:38 pm by Brent Rose

Re: Pet Deposit and Security Deposits

I'd say it's likely, if they're claiming the damage was caused by the dog.

The Orsini & Rose Law Firm PO Box 891325 Tampa (and Throughout Florida), FL 33689