Florida  |  Landlord & Tenant Law

I recently received a security deposit back (much lighter than I'd hoped!) and when I had called to question some of the charges (all of which, though scammy, were legitimate), the property manager informed me they had sent an amended claim, seeking another $490.

She claimed that the double paned glass doors, which were brand new, had been scratched by pets. She claimed that we must have therefore owned a pet and would be charged full replacement fees.

Here's the issue: We didn't own any pets. There are a number of feral cats around the neighborhood, but we neither owned them nor took care of them. In fact, we regularly shooed them from the premises.

I plan to dispute this ridiculous charge but, in the event that such an action fails, I plan to take it to small claims court.

My question is this: Do I have a case? If so, how do I go about proving that I am in no way responsible for any pet-related damages because I never, at any time, owned or took care of a pet? Basically, how do I prepare for this case?