Florida  |  Landlord & Tenant Law

I had signed a rental lease a house in Alachua county FL in Jan 2013. In May, I discovered my bank account had been hacked, and I am in loss of substantial funds. I was not able to pay May 2013 rent, and when I went by the house June 10, in order to pay utilities, and write explanation to landlord and enclose check for June, I discovered the locks had been changed, and all my belongings had been placed by the curb. I was able to reclaim two of my prints, but everything else was gone. When I contacted landlord, their e-mail response was that they had assumed that I had abandoned the property, and as for reclaiming my lost items,file a police report for burglary, and to look in local pawn shops.

Bottom line is I was evicted being 6 weeks late on one month rent, and 5 days late on the second. I am also sustaining losses of over $1000 in my personal property, as well as my personal mail, most of which contains my SSAN and other banking information.

What are my options?