Legal Question in Landlord & Tenant Law in Florida

Tuesday (06/04/13) morning at 8 am, my internet and phone service lines were disconnected. I called my current provider who sent a tech to my apartment. At that time, the tech was they are no longer allowed on property. This new company only uses VoIP services, my current job(W@H)does not allow this as apt was notified in Dec. I have email verification from apt mgr stating I was able to keep current internet/phone without service interruption will be contacted by the end of March. I was never contacted. 3 weeks ago, I spoke to the ast mgr who said she didn't know when the change would happen but I would be informed well in advance. I now have no job due to their negligence of disconnecting my provider from the property without previous notification of a disconnect date. Is this legal?

Jane-Robin Wender JANE-ROBIN WENDER, P.A.

There is no criminal law making this illegal.

Barry Stein De Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & Zachary

Yes it is legal. The fact that they promised you notice and did not give it to you is not likely the basis for some cause of action. It sounds like you were eventually going to be out of service and it was only a question of timing, so your damages, if any, are minimal at best. What was your alternate plan once the change actually occurred? It sounds like the time has come to go to that plan.

More Landlord & Tenants questions and answers in Florida

Landlord & Tenants Legal Forms