Legal Question in Personal Injury in Florida

Accident

My daughter rear ended another vehicle and we're sued. I plan on retaining a lawyer but a quick question. What can they get from me? The apparent amount is quite a bit more than I have and my house and van are not worth what I owe on them in these economic times. Will I have to make payments or sell stuff or what?

Glen Ashman Ashman Law Office

Re: Accident

Unless you broke the law and drove without insurance, or did something outrageously dumb like not reporting the accident to your insurer, your insurer hires a lawyer and defends you. Immediately give the paperwork to your insurer so they can do what you paid them to do.

Kenneth L. Shigley Chambers, Aholt & Rickard, LLP

Re: Accident

First, turn it over to your auto insurance company. The insurance company is obligated under the insurance contract to provide a defense for you.

Second, you may want to consult an attorney on your own. I'm not giving you legal advice without more facts, and I'm not creating an attorney-client relationship online. However, you may want to ask your attorney whether it is appropriate in this circumstance to send a letter to your insurance company, by certified mail return receipt requested, requesting that the company take advantage of any opportunity to settle within your policy limits.

More Personal Injury Law and Tort Law questions and answers in Florida