Florida  |  Real Estate Law

Hello, I bought a house in Florida and it is in my name and another lady. She made a few payments but stopped paying her half while I was stationed overseas. When I came back from overseas in July, 2010, she had abandoned the house, took my things and notices of past property taxes were posted on the door. I had to pay 6,000.00 in past property taxes and i am also the only one making the house payments. I bought the house through owner financing. the house is in our name but we pay the previous owner of the house. Her name is still on the deed and I would like to remove her off of it. The tax collecter told me that I would have to get her to sign the deed over to me but I do not know where she is. She left the house in April of 2010. What can I do???? She is still on the deed but pays nothing for the house. I retired and could not afford to make the payment myself. I have moved to Va and I rent the house out. Thank you for any help

Answered on: 9/02/11, 7:32 am by Ronald Jones

You are either going to have to track her down and get her to voluntarily sign a deed, or file a partition and accounting suit where you say you are the one making the payments and you want a judge to credit you for the payments you've made and sell the house; you would be the one to buy the house. Frankly, partition suits are very technical and you need to hire a lawyer to bring one. It would be best if you can track her down and have her sign a deed to you.

Ronald A. Jones, PA 15600 A S US Hwy 441 Summerfield, FL 34491