Florida  |  Real Estate Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 9/01/11, 5:00 am

Hello, I bought a house in Florida and it is in my name and another lady. She made a few payments but stopped paying her half while I was stationed overseas. When I came back from overseas in July, 2010, she had abandoned the house, took my things and notices of past property taxes were posted on the door. I had to pay 6,000.00 in past property taxes and i am also the only one making the house payments. I bought the house through owner financing. the house is in our name but we pay the previous owner of the house. Her name is still on the deed and I would like to remove her off of it. The tax collecter told me that I would have to get her to sign the deed over to me but I do not know where she is. She left the house in April of 2010. What can I do???? She is still on the deed but pays nothing for the house. I retired and could not afford to make the payment myself. I have moved to Va and I rent the house out. Thank you for any help

1 Answer

Answered on: 9/02/11, 7:32 am by Ronald Jones

You are either going to have to track her down and get her to voluntarily sign a deed, or file a partition and accounting suit where you say you are the one making the payments and you want a judge to credit you for the payments you've made and sell the house; you would be the one to buy the house. Frankly, partition suits are very technical and you need to hire a lawyer to bring one. It would be best if you can track her down and have her sign a deed to you.

Did you find this answer helpful?

0 Users found this answer helpful.

0 Attorneys agree with this answer.

Ronald A. Jones, PA 15600 A S US Hwy 441 Summerfield, FL 34491

Other answers from this attorney

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

70 Answers given in the last few hours.

86611 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search