Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Florida

I have a judgement against me and myself and siblings are trying to sell a house of my late mother in the same county. Do I have to pay the judgement off before I can inherit the proceeds. There is no lien against the property just me.

Asked on 9/18/13, 3:48 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Barry Stein De Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & Zachary
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Your share of the home that you sell is subject to the judgment lien against you. The purchaser if they do what they need to protect themselves will require that you satisfy the judgment from your share of the house. If the judgment is less than the share you get, then you get the balance. If it is more than your share, then you get nothing. You can always try to negotiate the judgment in advance of sale and try to satisfy it for less than its face value. Hire an attorney to assist you.

Read more
Answered on 9/19/13, 1:47 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Florida

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Real Estate and Real Property Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now