Legal Question in Real Estate Law in Florida

Single mom who has been leasing a condo for the past 4 yrs from a co-worker. Was served with lis pendense documents on mid-june. My lease expired but I have been paying rent as usual (month to month with no lease). If I stop paying rent, can he evict me? I have to save to get another place and I am unable to save and continue paying rent at the same time. The least I want is to end up homeless with my child. I dont know what to do.

Sarah Grosse Sarah Grosse, Esquire

You must pay rent. If not, you can be evicted. Your landlord is still your landlord, dispite the lis pendens (a notice of foreclosure?) until you are evicted by a new owner. I'm sorry I can't suggest any alternative without knowing more about your situation. You may email me if you wish to discuss.

More Real Estate and Real Property questions and answers in Florida