Florida  |  Tax Law

I was married in december 2011. My "wife" falsified info on our application, not disclosing a number of past marriages. We filed jointly for federal income tax for the year 2011. Basically, she cased my assets, stole a ton of money from me, forged the title on my lexus, stole the $16,000 tax return, filed a false domestic violence filing against me and left. I just got a letter from the IRS saying she failed to report income from three sources in 2011 and we have a tax obligation for $2,200. Am I on the hook for this? She also got me fired from my job so I have no income right now.

Answered on: 3/29/13, 6:32 am by John DeLancett

If you filed a joint return, you are on the "hook". However, if you can establish you did not know and had no reason to know of the additional income, you may be an innocent spouse. Also, if you are separated for over a year, divorced or legally separated and do not live together, you may qualify for separation of liability where the return is calculated as though you had filed separately.

Law Offices of John DeLancett, PL. 301 E. Pine Street, Suite 150 Orlando, FL 32801