Florida  |  Traffic Law

Hello, I was driving one day from work and I bike rider ran into my car. He is no claiming that I hit him which is complete contrary to what witness and police statement stated. He is now suing me who is unemployed, a student and currently expecting for 200000 dollars. I obviously have no source of income with over 25000 in debt,what can I do. This is not right, what can I do? also he is also going after my mother in which the insurance is under.

Answered on: 4/30/13, 9:47 am by Steven Meyer

I am sorry to hear about your situation. The insurance company that insured your car will provide an attorney to defend you in this lawsuit. The insurance company will also pay any damages that might be awarded to the bike rider, up to the limit of the bodily injury coverage on the insurance policy.

If you have other debts and no income, you may want to consider filing for bankruptcy. That would wipe any liability that you might have for this accident, and it would also wipe out some or all of the other debts. The case could still continue against your mother, however, if she was a co-owner of your car.

Law Offices of Steven Meyer 2295 N.W. Corporate Blvd., Suite 117 Boca Raton, FL 33431