Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Florida

Is there a way to contest my parents after their death if I feel that in their will they have left an exorbitant amount of money to a questionable religious organization?

Asked on 2/14/13, 5:55 am

4 Answers from Attorneys

Barry Stein De Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & Zachary
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Only way is based on improper influence or diminished capacity on the testators parts. Hard to prove, requires significant factual basis to support it. You should contact a local attorney and review the facts. The mere distribution to the organization is not enough.

Read more
Answered on 2/14/13, 6:25 am
Ronald Jones Ronald A. Jones, PA
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Possibly. Undue influence and lack of or diminished capacity are two ways, but it's also possible that the will was not executed in conformity with Florida law, depending on the facts, particularly if the will was not drafted by and the signing overseen by an attorney.

You really do need to talk to lawyer about the details.

Read more
Answered on 2/14/13, 6:36 am
Lucreita Becude Lucreita D. Becude, P.A.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

My colleagues are correct. I suggest you speak with an attorney now as to what is going on with your parents. Without knowing the age and if they are being influenced by this organization is hard to say. If I can be of assistance please contact my office for an appointment 904-997-1031. They may need a plenary guardianship in order to keep them from contracting with others.

Read more
Answered on 2/14/13, 7:24 am
David Slater David P. Slater, Esq.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Will contests are expensive, difficult and fact and witness specific. Can you prove undue influence or diminished capacity? I have been successful in the past.

Read more
Answered on 2/14/13, 7:59 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Florida

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now