Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Florida

My Father died and He told me that if anything happened to Him, not to worry. I just found out this year because He was out of Country in 2004 and I haven't heard from Him since. I just found out in 2013 that He passed away a few years ago and it appears that He was back in the Country when He had His funeral. I am His only heir. I don't know who made the funeral arrangements, if He died out of Country, or Who was behind the arrangements?! We have no other family. He had His will & Retirement Fund in my name. How should I handle this situation? I have been left in the dark & penniless.

Dean Bress Bress Law Firm

Lets take a look at your facts and question. How did you find out that your father passed away a few years ago? Who told or how did you otherwise learn this? How do you know that he was in the US? How do you know that he even had a funeral? Go to the source of this information to find out how or under what condition this person(s) found out. Next, just because your fatherís Will and retirement fund named you as beneficiary, he could have changed those documents-especially in light of the fact that you have not had contact with him for many years before his passing. Go back to the source of your knowledge and pursue these issues further.

Barry Stein De Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & Zachary

Mr. Bress is accurate and on point with the questions. You really need to discuss the matter with an attorney and have all your facts and papers with you. How did you know about his will and retirement fund? What do you know about them? That information will be needed. Seek legal help with all your facts and information. An attorney can get paid from the corpus of the Estate if there is anything that you are actually entitled to receive.

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Florida