Florida  |  Wills and Trusts

My mother just passed away. She has a car she was paying a bank or loan company for. I am her sole beneficiary and I don't want the car. Can I return it to the creditor with proof of death? I've read that they will sell it at auction and if they can't get what's owed, may pursue taking the difference from her estate or other assets.

Please any advice. Thanks, KJ.

Answered on: 9/18/13, 5:50 pm by Douglas R. Coenson, Esq.

I am sorry to hear of your loss. To answer your question, as long as she is the only one on the promissory note for the loan, no one will be liable to pay. The lien holder (bank) can go after the estate but the estate would need to go through probate and creditors get paid in a certain order (e.g., funeral expenses, attorney fees, and medical expenses will be paid before the car loan). To assist with any probate needs, contact an attorney who handles probate administrations.

Attorney address not available

Answered on: 9/18/13, 6:38 pm by David Slater

Return it.

David P. Slater, Esq. 5154 Windsor Parke Dr. Boca Raton, FL 33496

Answered on: 9/19/13, 1:33 am by Barry Stein

If there is an Estate then list the asset and get it transferred. You can sell it as part of the Estate and pay off the loan. If not enough then as per Mr. Coenson, the remaining debet gets paid as per Statute. Sorry for your loss. It is usually better economically to sell the vehicle yourself to protect the other assets in the Estate, if any.

De Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & Zachary 25 SE 2nd Avenue Suite 425 Miami, FL 33131