Legal Question in Wills and Trusts in Florida

My wife's mother left half her estate to the estate of my late wife. Her mother's has cleared probate but I have been told I will have to open a case to establish heirship for my wife's estate. Neither of us have lived in Fla.@ any time. Is this the law?

Asked on 9/26/13, 11:53 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

David Slater David P. Slater, Esq.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Depending upon the wording of the mother's will, your wife's estate may have to go to probate in the state she lived in.

Read more
Answered on 9/26/13, 12:08 pm
Barry Stein De Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & Zachary
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

If the share of your mother's Estate is fixed and being distributed after death, then it does have to be paid into an Estate. In the Estate, wherever your wife died, the heirs will be determined. No Estate has to be formed in Florida unless there is real estate involved and then an ancillary Estate in Florida may be needed. Seek legal help.

Read more
Answered on 9/26/13, 12:14 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates questions and answers in Florida

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Probate, Trusts, Wills & Estates Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now