Georgia  |  Civil Litigation

Enforcement of Jury Decision (Payment)

After you go to court(with 12 man jury) and you are awarded a settlement for the crime in question is the guilty party not made to pay what the jury awards the injured party?''

Injured party was awarded $30,000 by the jury but to date the court/lawyers/no one has said how the guilty party will pay or put forth an effort to enforce the jury decision. It has been four months since the jury decision but the injured party has not received a penny of the awarded amount. How is the payment usually handled? Should the court decide - lump sum/garnished wages/ etc??? Where should we go from here??

Answered on: 10/18/00, 2:35 am by Alex Simanovsky

Re: Enforcement of Jury Decision (Payment)

Once a judgment is rendered, the court has no discretion in assisting the judgment holder in collecting the judgment. One usually must take steps to collect the judgment, either via garnishment of wages, levies against real and personal property. It is best to get a collections attorney involved in your efforts to collect the judgment. If you wish, feel free to call me at my office for a free consultation regarding your various collections options.

Sincerely,

Alex Simanovsky

Attorney at Law

(404) 248-6333

Alex Simanovsky & Associates, LLC 2300 Henderson Mill Road, Suite 300 Atlanta, GA 30345