Georgia  |  Workers Comp

Worker compensation entitlement dispute.

I was enroute to work when I was involved in an auto accident. I was in uniform and only 1 mile from work.

I was employed at the time with my hometown Police Dept. It is understood by the police officers employed there that "You are on the clock for 8 hours a day but you are a police officer 24 hours a day and subject to call at any time." This according to the Chief of this Dept. My question is, since I was in uniform and enroute to work when I had the accident, am I entitled to workers compensation benefits under Ga. Law. I have heard of cases similar to mine where the courts have ruled in favor of the employee. Also,

I was made to resign when my doctor stated I could no longer perform the duties of a patrol officer due to my injuries and the disability I was left with. Therefore my second question is, was my forced resignation legal? Also, do I have a case in which the city could be ordered to give me my job back and give me the back pay for the time I have missed? Help!,

I need some advise on this matter asap as the one year time limit to file a claim will expire in 60 days.