Legal Question in Bankruptcy in Georgia

Filed Chapter 7 in the beginning of 2012, discharged in mid 2012. One of the cards discharged was a capital one card. This same card/account was part of their lawsuit which Capital one lost. I'm sure you heard about it, as they has to pay 210 million to customers. I recently received a letter stating that per this lawsuit, they were 'crediting' my account in the amount of ~$600 (somewhere in that ballpark). can I request a check instead? Not sure how they can credit a closed account anyway.

Asked on 6/03/13, 4:57 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

No. Your liability on the debt was discharged and you owe no money to Capital One but a debt was still owed to them by you. They are applying that towards any balance - its still uncollectible.

I am familiar with the lawsuit generally by the FTC against Capital One. However, I am not familiar with the terms of the settlement. Unless it gave affected consumers a right to demand and receive compensation then you are going to be stuck.

Read more
Answered on 6/05/13, 1:38 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Bankruptcy Law questions and answers in Georgia

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

89033 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Bankruptcy Law Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now