Legal Question in Bankruptcy in Georgia

I'm still married and filing bankrupcy chapter 7 to clear my credit b4 my divorce my soon to be x had a lot of IRS debt that I was told could be discharged after the bankrupcy I will be filing a uncontested divorce my concern is that even tho I am filing bankrupcy and clearing my name that some how my ex's debt will come back on me I am going to put in the divorce paper that each party is responsible for their own debt can the IRS debt come back on me?

Asked on 8/12/13, 11:00 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Richard Jones Jr Richard M. Jones, Jr.
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

You need to consult with a bankruptcy attorney so you can fully explain the IRS tax situation. From the way your question is phrased its not clear whether you and your Wife filed a joint bankruptcy or not. Generally the IRS cannot pursue you for tax debt if your Wife is solely responsible - but once again you need to consult with a bankruptcy attorney and possibly a tax attorney.

Read more
Answered on 8/12/13, 12:26 pm
Bernd Stittleburg Stittleburg Law Offices, LLC
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

The answer depends on whose tax liability is in question. Also, tax debt is not dischargeable for the three years prior to filing a bankruptcy case. If the tax debt is older than 3 years, you must have filed you taxes timely to utilize the dischargeability aspect. I agree with Mr. Jones, you need to see a bankruptcy attorney.

Read more
Answered on 8/12/13, 1:42 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Bankruptcy Law questions and answers in Georgia

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Bankruptcy Law Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Rahul Manchanda, Esq.Manchanda Law Office PLLCNew York, NY
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now