Legal Question in Bankruptcy in Georgia

Several years ago I co-signed for my then step-daughter to get a loan for a house. (Her mother's credit wasn't good enough.) After paying for several years, she moved out and no longer made payments. Her mother and I are now divorced. I have paid nothing because I was not, and am not, financially able. I am 65, starting social security in August, and am still paying on my own home. I don't think the bank has placed it in foreclosure yet. They call frequently, but I can't pay. Do I have any options other than bankruptcy? I do not want to do that, but I feel trapped. What would the repercussions of bankruptcy be? I need advice!!!

Glen Ashman Ashman Law Office

When you cosign a debt, you promise to pay it. That means one should NEVER cosign a debt one cannot pay.

Bear in mind that if you are sued, your own home is at risk. See a lawyer IMMEDIATELY to weigh options. Bankruptcy is one to seruiously look at.

More Bankruptcy Law questions and answers in Georgia

Bankruptcy Law Legal Forms