Georgia  |  Business Law

"My boyfriend owns a small residential and commercial cleaning company. Since he have a criminal background he cant get any big contracts because they want to make a background check. Is there any way he can make me a partner , or hire me , or separate the business, some how so I can be the one in charge and they do the checks on me instead?

Answered on: 9/04/13, 12:58 pm by Glenn M. Lyon, Esq.

Certainly. It all depends on whom the client wants to do the check on - owner, employees, etc. You can always change the ownership structure.

MacGREGOR LYON, LLC, Business Attorneys 1230 Peachtree Street, NE, Suite 3750 Atlanta, GA 30309

Answered on: 9/04/13, 1:02 pm by Glen Ashman

Maybe, although I am sure the company would want to check the employees, so he'd still face a background check.

Ashman Law Office 2791 Main Street EAST POINT Atlanta, GA 30344

Answered on: 9/04/13, 1:44 pm by Robert Gardner

This can be done by the two of you and some changes in paperwork. You would want to make sure any agreements you have between you are in writing, and that any corporate documents are updated, as well as the minutes of any meetings, to reflect the changes in ownership. As to background checks, look at the parameters of the contracts you are looking to enter to see who is required to have a background check and make yourself that person. If, as Mr. Ashman stated, they will want background checks on employees, he may need to be something other than an employee. You might even want to have a lawyer give you some specific advice about this, as doing it wrong could cause any contracts you enter to be voided.

The answer to this questions is informational only, and it is not intended to be legal advise. Only an attorney who has met with you and gone over all of the specific facts of your case can give you legal advice upon which you should rely. Follow up questions are welcome via the email below, and our firm offers free consultations via phone or in person. We have convenient offices in Winder, Jefferson, and Gainesville Georgia, and you should feel free to contact our office at (770) 307-4899, via email at hmgrmg@yahoo.com, or through our website: hicksmasseyandgardner.com.

Hicks, Massey & Gardner, LLP 53 W. Candler Street Winder, GA 30680