Georgia  |  Consumer Law

I cannot find an attorney willing to take on a legitimate predatory lending case. Though several attorneys agree I have a good case, none have been interested in taking the case. I receive many lame excuses as to why they're unable to....current case length, the difficult nature of predatory lending cases, etc.

Georgia is one of the few states where cases against against banks and/or mortgage companies for unlawful practices seemed to either not get filed or won. Clearly, banks such as Wachovia and Wells Fargo engaged in the same illicit practices in Georgia as in Florida, California, New, York, etc. Yet not one class action lawsuit that I am aware has been brought against them. Nor am I aware of any major lawsuits won against a MAJOR bank or mortgage company in Georgia.

Could someone in the legal profession HONESTLY explain why Georgia's legal system seems to either protect or be afraid of big banks?

Answered on: 5/23/13, 7:52 am by Scott Riddle

First, the reality - anytime a person says that lawyers are "afraid" of banks, insurance companies, or whoever, we know it is a myth and is code for "lawyers don't think I have a good case." You may or may not have a valid cause of action. That is not the end. What are your damages? If it was worth any significant amount of money, a lawyer would take the case. That is just the reality. Have you offered to pay the lawyer on an hourly basis with a retainer, or do you expect the lawyers will work for free and take all the risk they will be paid in a case that really is not worth much? That most likely answers your questions. That said, you certainly can keep contacting consumer lawyers, but stick to the facts and true value of the case, and not the old "lawyers are afraid of whoever" nonsense.

Law Office of Scott B. Riddle, LLC Suite 1530 Tower Place, 3340 Peachtree Road Atlanta, GA 30326