Georgia  |  Credit and Debt Law

Despite sending a letter to a collection agency updating my current address, the agency sent a letter to my employer inquiring about address and employment history.

The letter seems to have been sent randomly to a secretary who works for a peer of mine. She has no significant role or authority with the company. For all intensive purposes she's one of many secretaries/work bees.

Upon receiving the letter she gave it ti me very apologetically for having read. It was awkward and embarrassing for both of us.

I have no idea why the debt collection agency addressed the letter to her nor does she.

My theory is the agency simply googled my company and picked the first person's name they came across to send the letter to. (The secretary works in the fundraising/community development department. Hence, her name often appears at the top of a google search i the company.)

I know collection agencies are allowed to contact employers to verify certain information.

But are they allowed to randomly contact anyone?

Do they not have to contact the HR/Personnel department or an appropriately designated person/department?