Georgia  |  Credit and Debt Law

Legal Question

Asked on: 7/29/09, 8:25 pm

I have a student loan that defaulted. It had been sent to collections and a lawyer contact me about it threatening me to take me to court. They sent out a consent order saying that I had to make so much money in payments. I sent it back to them saying that I could not pay that. They sent it back and kept revising the amount of money twice, but not for the amount I was saying I could make. Finally on the last consent order they sent, they threaten to garnish my wages if I didn\'t sign the consent order. I just signed it to get out of them garnishing my wages. Now I am finding out that they might not be able to do this. My question is how can I get out of the consent order? I am on a very limited income and am actually considered poverty level. They are asking me for more than half my paycheck. I cannot make these payments, but they are saying they are holding me to this consent order. I am willing to pay my debt, just not the amount on the consent order (that I feel was obtained by threats).

Didn't find what you were looking for? Ask an Attorney!

Get answers from the top Attorneys
Ask Question

209 Answers given in the last few hours.

8662 Active attorneys ready to answer your question

Search Past Answers:
  Advanced Search