Georgia  |  Criminal Law

my ex-girlfriend won't give me my things back. she kicked me out and kept a bed, a satellite receiver, exercise equipment, and several movies. i called the police, they said the sheriff would escort me to get my things. i called the sheriff, they said they won't get involved. how do i get my property back?

Answered on: 9/22/13, 5:52 am by Scott Riddle

It won't be treated as a criminal issue. File a suit in Magistrate Court for the value of the property. You can also file a suit to compel her to turn over your personal property, but that is a much more expensive and time consuming lawsuit and probably won't get you much further than a Magistrate Court suit for money. Paying a lawyer to write a letter threatening a suit may also work. As I am sure you know, what you should not do is show up, make threats or try to force your way in to get the property.

Law Office of Scott B. Riddle, LLC Suite 1530 Tower Place, 3340 Peachtree Road Atlanta, GA 30326

Answered on: 9/22/13, 7:52 am by Glen Ashman

It's not a criminal issue. File a case against her in Magistrates (Small Claims) court asking for the value of the property.

Ashman Law Office 2791 Main Street EAST POINT Atlanta, GA 30344

Answered on: 9/23/13, 6:17 am by Robert Gardner

Another option, in addition to suing for the value of the property, would be to file an action in Superior Court for the return of your property. Magistrate Court can only award you a money judgment, although she may give you the stuff back to keep from having to pay for it. A Superior Court suit will be more complicated and time consuming, but it is the only court which can actually order her to act (by making her return your things to you).

The answer to this questions is informational only, and it is not intended to be legal advise. Only an attorney who has met with you and gone over all of the specific facts of your case can give you legal advice upon which you should rely. Follow up questions are welcome via the email below, and our firm offers free consultations via phone or in person. We have convenient offices in Winder, Jefferson, and Gainesville Georgia, and you should feel free to contact our office at (770) 307-4899, via email at hmgrmg@yahoo.com, or through our website: hicksmasseyandgardner.com.

Hicks, Massey & Gardner, LLP 53 W. Candler Street Winder, GA 30680