Georgia  |  Criminal Law

This is my first offense I was charged with a misdemeanor of theft of lost or misplaced item that I returned to the owner the same day it was lost with no damage to the phone which was under 500 $ I really want to know if there is a chance I could go to jail

Answered on: 9/05/13, 7:40 am by Lawrence Lewis

You are playing games. Why would you be charged, IF you returned it without a phone call from the owner. See website for info on what will happen in court: http://www.lawrencelewispc.com/pages.php?go=pinfo&PID=364

Good luck

Lawrence Lewis, P.C. 242 Culver Street, Suite 103 Lawrenceville, GA 30045

Answered on: 9/05/13, 11:16 am by Robert Gardner

All misdemeanors carry the possibility of up to 12 months in jail and a $1000 fine. Given the fact that you were charged, the state feels you did something wrong. The fact that you returned the item will work in your favor, and you need to be looking at hiring a criminal defense attorney to work on getting the charge dropped, reduced, or handled through pretrial diversion. I seriously doubt the state will be looking for jail time, but you need to be looking to get out of this.

The answer to this questions is informational only, and it is not intended to be legal advise. Only an attorney who has met with you and gone over all of the specific facts of your case can give you legal advice upon which you should rely. Follow up questions are welcome via the email below, and our firm offers free consultations via phone or in person. We have convenient offices in Winder, Jefferson, and Gainesville Georgia, and you should feel free to contact our office at (770) 307-4899, via email at hmgrmg@yahoo.com, or through our website: hicksmasseyandgardner.com.

Hicks, Massey & Gardner, LLP 53 W. Candler Street Winder, GA 30680

Answered on: 9/05/13, 4:43 pm by Glen Ashman

You could go to jail for a year and be fined $1000 plus costs. But even a lesser sentence may be expensive,and you will have a criminal history for life, which may mean you will have a very hard time ever getting a job. This is not a time to play games. You should already have a lawyer. Get one ASAP. It matters.

Ashman Law Office 2791 Main Street EAST POINT Atlanta, GA 30344