Georgia  |  Criminal Law

I pleaded guilty to simple battery involving my sister visiting my home and flicking a cigarette at her. An aide to the Solicitor said I could still own a firearm, is this true? If not is there any way to be able to own a firearm ever again.

Answered on: 5/18/13, 12:52 pm by Glen Ashman

As stated the last time you posted (and the answer is the same), no you cannot ever own a gun.

The Domestic Violence Offender Gun Ban ("Gun Ban for Individuals Convicted of a Misdemeanor Crime of Domestic Violence", Pub.L. 104208,[1] 18 U.S.C. 922(g)(9)[2]) bans access to firearms by people convicted of misdemanor crimes of domestic violence. Since this involved a family member in the home, it is a crime of domestic violence.

I am sure your attorney warned you of this before you pled (hopefully you didn't make the mistake of being your own lawyer). Obviously, since the solicitor is prosecuting you, you wouldn't be listening to what his staff said.

Ashman Law Office 2791 Main Street EAST POINT Atlanta, GA 30344

Answered on: 5/25/13, 11:05 pm by Lawrence Lewis

Depends on how the misdemeanor is characterized. If it is domestic, no. If it is not domestic, then maybe. See website for info on retaining the right attorney: http://www.lawrencelewispc.com/pages.php?go=pinfo&PID=38

Good luck.

Lawrence Lewis, P.C. 242 Culver Street, Suite 103 Lawrenceville, GA 30045