Georgia  |  Criminal Law

My son is in jail for burglary. They filed for Quick and speedy trail in January. We were under the impression that the law states 3 court terms or 6 months. Is this right?

Answered on: 7/11/13, 8:07 am by Lawrence Lewis

It depends on the county that you are in. Terms of court defer county by county. In some counties the there are three four month terms and others there are six two month terms. See website for info on retaining the right attorney: http://www.lawrencelewispc.com/pages.php?go=pinfo&PID=38

Good luck.

Lawrence Lewis, P.C. 242 Culver Street, Suite 103 Lawrenceville, GA 30045

Answered on: 7/11/13, 9:37 am by Robert Gardner

I agree with Mr. Lewis. The terms of court are what count, and this can be extended if an extension is requested by your son's attorney. To be sure, get with his attorney and find out what the time frame is, as they are the ones who filed it and should know best. You can also call the clerk of court's office to find out when each term of court begins, so that you can count to see if enough terms have passed.

Hicks, Massey & Gardner, LLP 53 W. Candler Street Winder, GA 30680