Georgia  |  Criminal Law

Here is my statement/question. I received two answers, (thank you) but they did not really address the specific question that I asked.

"I was arrested in a parking lot of a business for simple assault and reckless conduct. There were 4 or 5 potential witnesses there that never gave a statement to police. The police did not take any statements except from me and the person I had an argument with.

I cannot afford an attorney. Is it ethical (or legal) to ask the other witnesses to give a statement? I am able to get in touch with them and their statement would exonerate me before even having to go to trial because the solicitor will not go forward with a case that she cannot win or that will embarrass her."

My restated question is: Can I (as a defendant) contact potential witnesses to find out what they might say in court before I subpoena them? Is this considered to be "tampering"? I know that I would have to call them to testify in court should it go to trial, but knowing what their testimony is would convince the Solicitor to immediately back away from prosecution.