Georgia  |  Criminal Law

Will the courts take away my house?

A year ago my son was arrested on drug charges. He persuaded me to bond him out of jail with a property bond on my house. Then 3 weeks before Christmas he was arrested on drug charges again, convinced me to do another property bond to get him out of jail. Although the arrests were made in 2 different counties the bonds were combined in the county where I live totaling $48,500.00

The court dates have been scheduled for the 1st arrest. He went to the arraignment early this month and the trail is in 3 weeks. There may be a motions hearing next week. The court appointed lawyer says he can not speak with me about his case. My son and I are not on the best of terms right now and I can't get much information from him.

I am very nervous about him coming to court. If he doesn't appear for the trail will I be given any time to hire someone to locate him? Could the court put a hold on my obligation for a set time until I return him to jail and then release me from the bond? OR will they demand my payment regardless of him being returned. If the latter is true I must make a difficult decision now before its too late. I hate to take action that I can't afford or that may not be necessary if he comes to court or will hurt his case