Legal Question in DUI Law in Georgia

I was convicted of 2nd DUI in March of 2002 and trying to figure out why a clinical evaluation is mandatory for reinstatement in Georgia. I pulled this text directly from the F.A.Q on the GA DDS website.

"When is a clinical evaluation required for purposes of reinstating my Georgia driverís license or driving privileges?

Documented proof of having completed a state-approved clinical evaluation is required of all persons that wish to reinstate a suspension of their Georgia driverís license or driving privileges resulting from two or more convictions of driving under the influence within the past ten (10) years."

Each person I spoke to at DDS suggests that this must be done, but clearly there's something someone is not understanding. Please help.

John

Glen Ashman Ashman Law Office

The someone who isn't understanding is you. If you do not do the evaluation,. you never can get your license back (you probably also violate your probation and go to jail).

The reason for this is that you are an alcoholic who has, more than once, threatened the lives of all of us. You need help, and this is designed to get you steered towards help. It is very alarming that you are questioning it.

David Glass Law Offices of David H. Glass, LLC

Can't agree more with Mr. Ashman. You are not understanding that the 10 years does not apply to when you were last convicted, it applies to people who are convicted of 2 or more DUI's within a 10 year period. Clearly, that includes you. You can wait 20 years to reinstate your license, but the fact you got 2 DUI's within a 10 year period requires you to get a clinical evaluation before Georgia will reinstate your license. Go get the evaluation and don't drink and drive.

More Drunk Driving & DUI Law questions and answers in Georgia