Georgia  |  Education Law

I wanted to know if 'i could take action upon my childs school, for not contacting my wife and I, when there was a person who traspassed and threatened to cause harm to my child, while at school. the person who made the threat was a parent of another child, that person was arrested at the school, and charged with serveral counts of disorderly conduct and a charge of traspassing. the public school and the county sheriff department failed to notify us of the actions that happened. We found out a month later, when the DA's office called to make sure our child would we attened the court date. Can we sue the school for not making contact with us in reguardes to our childs safety.???

Answered on: 11/07/09, 4:11 pm by Scott Riddle

You certainly should pursue this in the school system because it is an obvious lapse on the part of the school administration. However, beyond that, what monetary or other damages have you suffered? Lawsuits are about money, and from your post, it is not apparent you have damages. It is not likely a good way to get a check. You may or many not have a claim against the people who actually did do something wrong, but that was not your question.

Law Office of Scott B. Riddle, LLC Suite 1530 Tower Place, 3340 Peachtree Road Atlanta, GA 30326