Legal Question in Family Law in Georgia

I am 18 a junior in highschool and my dad is retired so i get $900.0 a month from his retirement bit my mom sign my checks and uses them for her self and my dad and I are wounding what kind of lawyer do I need to take her to court to pay me back the money she owes me.

Asked on 5/01/13, 7:24 am

2 Answers from Attorneys

Scott Riddle Law Office of Scott B. Riddle, LLC
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

The first question is who pays for the roof, clothing, electricity, food, gas, car, insurance and a long list of other things for you? You might start paying $900/month in rent unless you are out on your own and paying your own bills. Otherwise, are you prepared to pay a lawyer $250 or up to sue your mother? Think about it. Who do you live with now? If you really are living on your own (or out of Mom's house if you live there) and prepared to live on that money and get a job for the rest, AND you have an actual legal entitlement to the money (we don't know), then you can check to see if the money can come directly to you.

Read more
Answered on 5/01/13, 7:30 am
Tahira Piraino Tahira P. Piraino
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

If you are living with your mother, she is obviously using the money to assist with your needs. If you want to receive the money yourself, move out and see how easy it is to live on $900.00 a month. I do not even now if now that you are 18 you have a legal entitlement to receive the money directly as I do not know how the retirement is set up. If your dad is concerned about how the money is being spent, he should look at the expense of raising a teenager.

Read more
Answered on 5/01/13, 8:15 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Georgia

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now