Legal Question in Family Law in Georgia

In a name change, does a parent need be named as respondent if they have waived parental rights to allow the child to be adopted?

Asked on 7/23/13, 12:03 pm

3 Answers from Attorneys

Robert Gardner Hicks, Massey & Gardner, LLP
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Usually, when a parent agrees to the adoption of their child, they sign a surrender of rights, which is only good for a period of time. If their rights were actually terminated by a court order, there is no need to serve them with a name change. If they just signed something waiving their parental rights, and there was no court order entered terminating their rights, they would need to be served with an action for name change as they still have parental rights.

Read more
Answered on 7/23/13, 12:13 pm
Tahira Piraino Tahira P. Piraino
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

I do not understand why you are changing a child's name if the child is being adopted. I parent can waive his rights, but until there is a termination order, the parent is still the legal parent. The child's name will be changed as part of the adoption order. You need to speak with a family law attorney and provide the information needed to move forward on a name change of a minor.

Read more
Answered on 7/23/13, 12:30 pm
Glen Ashman Ashman Law Office
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

Yes. You obviously need a lawyer. If you have an adoption consent, an adoption will include a name change, and the consent expires if not timely used. See a lawyer to untangle the mess (that never should have been a mess).

Read more
Answered on 7/31/13, 6:29 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Georgia

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now