Legal Question in Family Law in Georgia

Can my child be adopted without my permission?

My ex-husbands step-mother adopted my son wi8thout my kjnowledge or consent. My ex-husband and i have joint custody of my son.

Is this legal and what are the ramifications of such a legal move?

Asked on 4/10/13, 3:41 pm

1 Answer from Attorneys

Glen Ashman Ashman Law Office
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

You've obviously left out a great deal.

To adopt your child, the court needed either your signed consent or had to serve you with papers unless a court previously terminated your parental rights. (If you could not be found, that service could be by publication). If you are asking after the adoption is over, you are almost certainly asking too late, but the only way to know would be for you show the paperwork to a lawyer.

Read more
Answered on 4/10/13, 3:45 pm

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Georgia

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

88953 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Barry SteinDe Cardenas, Freixas, Stein & ZacharyMiami, FL
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now