Legal Question in Family Law in Georgia

if child support is part of a divorce order, can a petition for modification be done through the county family court

Asked on 6/08/13, 9:09 am

1 Answer from Attorneys

Tahira Piraino Tahira P. Piraino
0 users found helpful
0 attorneys agreed

A modification is filed in the Superior Court of the county where the Defendant/Respondent currently resides. From your zip code it appears you reside in Atlanta. If the Defendant/Respondent resides in that portion of Atlanta which is in Fulton County, then you file in the Superior Court of Fulton County, Family Law Division. If the Defendant/Respondent does not reside in Fulton County, again, you have to file in the County where he/she resides. I suggest you speak with a family law attorney prior to filing. You may feel a modification is warranted, but there are several factors which play into the modification. I have had several clients who have come to me after filing a modification on their own, only to have child support increased. Again, speak with an attorney.

Read more
Answered on 6/09/13, 8:14 am

Related Questions & Answers

More Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption questions and answers in Georgia

Looking for something else?

Get Free Legal Advice

89033 active attorneys ready to answer your legal questions today.

Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Adoption Legal Forms

Browse and download our attorney-prepared and up-to-date legal forms from $4.99

Find a Legal Form

Featured Attorneys

Anthony SmithLawSmithLee's Summit, MO
Glen AshmanAshman Law OfficeAtlanta, GA
Timothy McCormickLibris Solutions - Dispute Resolution ServicesSan Francisco, CA
Find An Attorney

Are you an Attorney?

Earn additional revenue and grow your business. Join LawGuru Now